‘A slap in the face’: 9/11 families say US-Sudan deal would torpedo two-decade lawsuit

The Trump administration is removing Sudan from the state sponsors of terrorism list, a deal which could jeopardize the still unresolved lawsuits some 9/11 families began in 2003.

A group of 9/11 family members argue that bin Laden and al-Qaeda could not have been able to mount the September 11th terrorist attacks without safe haven and financial support from Sudan in the 1990s.

Angela Mistrulli, daughter of Joseph Mistrulli, who was killed in the 9/11 attacks, contacted the State Department early this year when she heard of the planned removal of Sudan from the list. She says officials there told her that they did not know about the families’ suits against Sudan.

“It was a slap in the face from my own country,” she told Elizabeth Hagedorn & Jared Szuba for Al-Monitor. “It was absolutely shocking to me because we had been pursuing Sudan in court since 2003.”

This entry was posted in Families in the News. Bookmark the permalink.
  • One World Observatory

    Learn more about the One World Observatory complimentary ticket program.

  • Categories

  • From the Newsletter

  • Upcoming Events

    1. Brick paver fundraiser to build a fountain at the Middletown World Trade Center Memorial Garden

      February 11 @ 8:00 am - April 30 @ 5:00 pm
    2. Remember those who have died of COVID-19

      March 4 @ 8:00 am - May 31 @ 5:00 pm
    3. Sign up to read names at FDNY 343 Memorial Club September 11th Memorial Ceremony, Summerfield, FL

      March 17 @ 8:00 am - July 1 @ 5:00 pm
    4. Fight Sarcoidosis with Virtual Steps for Sarc

      April 1 @ 8:00 am - April 30 @ 5:00 pm
    5. Arlington Historical Society 9/11 Essay Contest for Grades 8-12

      April 8 @ 8:00 am - May 21 @ 5:00 pm