Sons of 9/11 victim grew up poor, and were never told they were worth $1m

Chris Spargo dailymail.com

Almost 14 years after the horrific events of 9/11, three young men are finally getting their victims compensation money.

Tyshawn Ward, Trent Ward and Dujon Holland failed to receive the $1million they were entitled to after their father John Holland was killed at the age of 30 while working in the kitchen at Windows of the World.

Tyshawn Ward

Tyshawn Ward

Making matters worse is the fact that the three boys grew up in poverty never even knowing about the money.

Trent Ward

Trent Ward

The New York Post spoke with the lawyer for the three men, Salvatore Diliberto, who was finally able to find their funds in 2013.

‘These were three young men living in public housing that could’ve certainly used the money,’ said Diliberto.

The funds could have been disbursed to the men however back in 2004, but in 2005 a court-appointed guardian decided to have them put aside for the boys’ education.

That never happened however, and court officials reportedly failed to notify the three as they grew older that they had their money.

This seemed to shock Diliberto, who said; ‘If you can’t find three guys, then you probably can’t find the five fingers on your right hand.’

Now, the three young men have received their payouts; $346,598.23 to Tyshawn, 28; $296,074.29 to Trent, 23; and $359,775.67 to Dujon, 27.

Tyshawn was 14, Trent nine and Dujon 13 when their [father] died.

Trent wrote on Facebook on September 11, 2013; ‘R.I.P to John Holland. He never got to see any of his sons or daughters off to prom. He never got a chance to see any of us graduate.

‘He never got a chance to take a drink with any of us. He never got a chance to hear my niece call him grandpa. He didn’t even get a chance to see my sister off. Relish every moment of your lives.’

Dujon Holland

Dujon Holland

Tyshawn currently lives in Hawaii and served in the United States Navy while Trent is attending Long Island University where he is studying biology.

Relatives of individuals who died in the 9/11 attacks are eligible for funds, as are those who were at the site of any of the 9/11 attacks on or shortly after that date who have suffered from health problems as a result.

Just last month, The Hill reported that lawmakers warned victims of the terrorist attacks [sick recovery workers and survivors] that they could lose financial support as soon as October 2016 if Congress doesn’t reauthorize the compensation fund.

This entry was posted in Families in the News. Bookmark the permalink.
  • One World Observatory

    Learn more about the One World Observatory complimentary ticket program.

  • Categories

  • From the Newsletter

  • Upcoming Events

    1. COVID-19 testing sites in the NYC area

      October 13 @ 8:00 am - December 31 @ 5:00 pm
    2. Application period open for the LeRoy W. Homer, Jr. Foundation Scholarship

      November 1, 2020 @ 8:00 am - January 31, 2021 @ 5:00 pm
    3. Buy a beer on Mondays and support the Terry Farrell Foundation – Fort Collins, CO

      November 7 @ 11:00 am - December 31 @ 8:00 pm
    4. NYPD Officer Chris Bramwell needs a kidney urgently

      November 10 @ 8:00 am - December 31 @ 5:00 pm
    5. Warren Fire Department fundraiser for their 9/11 ceremony next year

      November 17, 2020 @ 8:00 am - January 31, 2021 @ 5:00 pm