The Children’s Museum of Manhattan and the New York City Police Museum present a new exhibit – 10-Foot Cops: The NYPD’s Mounted Unit. This event for all ages opens on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan, as the NYPD Museum is still recovering from the extensive damage it suffered from Hurricane Sandy.
In partnership with the New York City Police Museum, CMOM presents 10-Foot Cops: The NYPD’s Mounted Unit, their latest exhibit housed on the Museum’s Lower Level.
On loan from the New York City Police Museum, which is temporarily closed due to damage sustained from Hurricane Sandy, 10-Foot Cops provides a glimpse into the history and daily lives of officers from New York City’s Mounted Police Force Unit. Included in the exhibit are:
- More than 40 original artifacts
- Saddles, uniforms, paintings, historic photographs and illustrations
- Replica of an actual NYPD horse stable
- “In the Saddle” photo op
- Shorts from the NYPD’s 1940 film Training Police Horses and a clip from the Department’s Inside the NYPD from 2007
- Fun programs led by CMOM educators
- Guest speakers
Whether doing daily policing, working crowd control for parades or acting as goodwill ambassadors, NYPD’s Mounted Police are a great part of the diverse mosaic of New York City!