NYS Office of Emergency Management and New Paltz present the 10th Annual IDMH Training - Radiological Readiness: Preparing for Dirty Bombs, Nuclear Disasters, and Other Radiation Emergencies
This event will provide training and planning opportunities to strengthen our community’s preparedness for catastrophic radiological events by presenting new information and recommendations that can be incorporated into planning procedures for multiple organizations that will need to collaborate in any response. Presentations and discussions will provide attendees with up-to-date information and recommendations from current research as well as professional training in practices critical to radiological disaster response. Reviewing the diverse consequences of different types of radiological disasters will enable the whole community to become better prepared for future nuclear accidents or terrorist attacks involving radiation exposure and/or contamination.
Topics covered will include:
- From Radiological Incidents to Nuclear Calamities: Social, Behavioral, and Risk Communication Issues in Radiation Emergencies with Steven Becker, Ph.D.
- New York State Response to Radiological Catastrophes with Jerome Hauer, Ph.D., Commissioner, New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, as well as speakers from the New York State Department of Health, Mental Health, and American Red Cross
- Risk Messaging and Crisis Communication
- Lessons from Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Accident
- Assisting Children in the Aftermath of Catastrophic Events
- Medical Aspects of Radiological Response
- Understanding Post-Blast Human Behavior: Disaster Mental Health Overview
For full program details, please click here.
Registration form and instructions can be found here.
The brochure can be found here.
Registration Fees (includes parking, gourmet box lunch, beverages, and educational materials):
- Early Registration (through February 28) $55.00
- Regular Registration (March 1 – April 12) $85.00
- On-Site Registration (April 19) $100.00
- New Paltz Staff, Faculty and Students* $35.00 (must pre-register by April 1)
- Non-New Paltz Students $35.00 (must pre-register by April 1)
*Students, faculty, and staff can also apply for a scholarship by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before February 28, 2013.
Any organizations interested in sponsoring or tabling at this event may email email@example.com for more information.